If you’re like the majority of company owners, you probably consider web app security testing to be an afterthought. You may believe that your website is too small to be a target, or that you’re not important enough to be attacked.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. Hackers are opportunists; they will exploit any website that they can find vulnerabilities in.
That’s why it’s important to perform regular web app security tests on your site – to make sure that your data is safe and secure. In this article, we’ll discuss why web application security testing is important, steps for performing a security test, tools you can use, and a checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything.
Why Is Web App Security Testing Important?
Web app security testing is the act of finding and addressing flaws in your website app. You can stop hackers from taking advantage of these flaws by discovering and repairing them ahead of time.
If you don’t perform regular security tests, you may not know if your site has been hacked until it’s too late. There are several reasons why web app security testing is essential.
The following are some of the most significant
- To ensure that your data is safe and secure.
- To protect your website from being hacked.
- To comply with regulations and standards like PCI DSS, HIPAA, and SOX.
Steps for Performing a Web Security Test
When performing a web security test, there are several steps you need to take:
- Collect Information about your website like technologies used, business objectives, etc.
- Create a web security testing checklist.
- Identify the areas of your website that are most vulnerable to attack
- Identify the type of test you want to perform like Black box testing, White box testing, etc.
- Select the tools you’d like to use for testing, such as Burp Suite or ZAP Proxy.
- Scan and test your website thoroughly for vulnerabilities using automated or manual tools
- Fix any vulnerabilities that are found and retest your website.
- Document the results.
Different Type Of Tools for Web App Security Testing
Automated scanning tools
These tools can scan your website automatically for vulnerabilities. They usually come with a reporting feature that can help you to understand the results of the scan.
Manual testing tools
These tools allow you to test for vulnerabilities manually. This can be useful if you want to test for specific types of vulnerabilities, or if you want to get a more in-depth understanding of the results of a scan.
Web application firewalls
A web application firewall (WAF) is a type of security tool that can protect your website from attack. It works by monitoring and filtering incoming traffic, and blocking requests that are likely to be malicious.
Tools for Web Security Testing
There are many different tools available for web app security testing. Some of the most popular include
- Astra’s Pentest Suite: Astra Security has a powerful penetration testing suite and a world-class firewall. It’s an all-around solution for your security needs.
- IBM AppScan: A tool that analyzes web applications for vulnerabilities.
- Burp Suite: This is a comprehensive platform that includes many features like an intercepting proxy, spider, scanner, intruder, repeater, and more.
- OWASP Zaproxy: This tool is designed specifically for web application security testing. It offers features like an intercepting proxy, active and passive scanner, fuzzer, brute force attack tool, and more.
Web App Security Testing Checklist
When performing a web app security test, it’s important to make sure that you don’t miss anything. To help you out, we’ve put together a checklist of items to consider:
- Identification of the areas of your website that are most vulnerable to attack.
- Scanning of your website for vulnerabilities using automated or manual tools.
- Fixing any vulnerabilities that are found.
- Updation of your software and plugins regularly.
- Usage of strong passwords and authentication methods.
- Server protection with firewalls and other security measures.
- Access to critical data is restricted.
- Web application firewalls are used to protect online businesses from attack.
- Regular testing of your security measures to make sure they are effective.
If you can tick all of these items off, then you can be sure that your website is as secure as possible.
Performing regular web security tests is essential for protecting your data and keeping your website safe from attack. In this article, we’ve discussed why web app security testing is important, steps for performing a security test, tools you can use, and a checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything.
673 total views, 3 views today