Maiden South West Closed Scrabble Championship
Nigeria’s South-Western region is set to witness its first major scrabble championship with the coming of a closed event slated for this month in the city of Ibadan, Oyo state. The South-West Closed scrabble championships became a child of necessity as the leadership of the Nigeria Scrabble Federation in the Zone decided to create more competitions for scrabblers as a way of setting them up for national and international tournaments.
The South-West Closed scrabble championship will be the most prestigious title in the South-Western region. The scrabble championship will become an annual event and would be a close event among the scrabble players in the region.
The Championship Details
Players will compete in the Masters, Intermediate and Open categories for ratings, prestige and honour with plenty of cash prizes also on offer.
An excited Emmanuel Egbele, the NSF South-West Coordinator who disclosed the details of the maiden tournament to the media underlined the importance of introducing the South-West Closed scrabble championships to players based in
- Oyo State
- Osun State
- Ogun State
- Ondo State
- Ekiti State
- Lagos State
- Date: Saturday, April 30, 2022
- Time: 9 am Prompt.
- Venue: Jogor Centre (Hall of Grace), 1 Harvester Drive, Liberty Road, Ibadan.
- No of Games: 12
- Rated: Yes
- Membership of a Club in the South-West Zone (SWZ)
- Permanent Residency in the SWZ
- Students of Tertiary Institutions in the SWZ.
Kindly fill out the pre-registration form using the link below
- Opens – N4,000 (
- Intermediate – N5,000 (1100 – 1399)
- Masters – N6,000 (=>1400)
- Female – N3,000
- Undergraduate Students – N2,000
Star Prize 🔥🔥🔥
N 200,000 Guaranteed + other juicy prizes to follow.
- Please note that registration ends on Thursday 28/04/2022 at 6 pm and pairings are to be released on Friday.
- All COVID-19 guidelines will be duly observed. Please come with your face masks and sanitisers.
- Very Important: Please come with clean scrabble accessories to the venue.
“The purpose” according to Egbele
Is to create some excitement among our players and as a family and prepare some of them participating in other national and international events the opportunity for some competitive game time.”
Top players like former World No.5 Enoch Nwali, former African champion Femi Awowade and Dokun Esan who won the Emmanuel Egbele Annual Scrabble Tournament (EEAST) are expected to light up Jogor Hall, Ibadan when the mind game takes centre stage on April 30.
“Registration is ongoing now, and we are expecting top players in the South-West. We have
- Dokun Esan the reigning EEAST Champion
- Hakeem Olaribigbe, MGi Patrons Cup Champ
We also have Femi Awowade coming in to be part of the Tournaments. Former World No. 5 and NUGA Scrabble MVP, Enoch Nwali is going to be there”, he confirmed. The announcement of the scrabble championship has been generating some buzz and excitement among the players who are eager to hunt for prizes as well as ranking points.
290 total views, 1 views today