Freelance digital marketers are professional who provides one or more digital marketing services to the business organization of different sizes, as well as nonprofits, entrepreneurs, and experienced individuals.
A freelance digital marketer is also a professional with many talents, from
- Content creation to social media management
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Ad campaign creation
- Website building
- Strategy building
- Social media advertising
- Website design
Freelance digital marketers can promote their clients’ brands through various means, such as
- Social media
- Search engine marketing
The daily activities of a freelance digital marketer include
- Consulting with clients
- Conducting market research
- Creating marketing copy
- Making basic marketing designs
The working environment of freelance digital marketers is self-paced mainly, though they follow their clients’ schedules.
Detailed activities of a freelance digital marketer
- To give their clients a better idea of the day-to-day marketing
- Develop a digital marketing strategy
- Set up and track key performance indicators KPIs to optimize activities and monitor objectives
- Generate blog content to communicate stories to the target audience
- Develop promotional materials and graphics
- Host webinars or develop case studies
- Increase the likelihood of action from customers
- Maintain a company’s social media platforms and ensure consistency across all pages
- Manage a company’s online shop to increase the likelihood of purchase
- Increase Google presence
- Manage ad campaigns, including pay-per-click campaigns
- Curate and maintain a brand
- Analyze and report on what is working and what needs to change
Every freelance digital marketers are unique in the services they choose to offer, so it comes down to the skill set and the interests of the individual. Use these tips to help you launch your freelance digital marketing career regardless of how you position yourself.
Pros and Cons of Becoming a Freelance Digital marketer
- Be your boss
- Set your flexible schedule
- Ability to choose what projects to work on
- Freedom to select your clients
- Work in your own space
- Experience a lower cost of doing business
- Unlimited potential when it comes to income
- Unpredictable income (lack of a fixed salary)
- Responsible for marketing and selling your services
- Lack of company benefits (health insurance, retirement benefits, company perks)
- Working alone, often in isolation
- Must track and pay your business expenses and freelancer taxes
How to Become a Freelance Digital Marketer
Suppose you are considering becoming a freelance digital marketer. In that case, you need to consider whether these advantages will outweigh the disadvantages and keep you in a career you enjoy and excel in. While the path you choose is unique to you and your interests, the following steps for how to become a digital marketing freelancer can help you achieve success.
Determine Your Niche
While you may have several interests, it’s essential to determine a niche to focus on and build your brand around. Clients want someone specializing in what they need, what they offer, or what industry they’re in, not a jack-of-all-trades trying to be all things to all people. Start by conducting research.
Concentrate on Building Your Skillset
Volunteer, intern, or accept a part-time position with a company marketing department or a standalone marketing agency, and learn as much as possible. Practice on your website and blog or that of family members or friends. Become experienced with Google or Facebook ads to draw traffic to your website.
Create Your Brand
Be consistent throughout your online presence, including your website, blog, and social media accounts. Also, go beyond your website and try guest posting on other high-traffic websites.
You gain backlinks, increase traffic, boost your reputation, and establish yourself as knowledgeable.
Build a Digital Marketing Blog
Build a digital marketing blog and publish posts that let potential clients know your capabilities and how you can help to reach their marketing goals. Content is a powerful tool for expressing your abilities and showing your knowledge and skills. Make the majority of your blog posts related to what marketing services you offer clients.
Set Your Freelancing Rates
Options include: By the hour Per the project type Per a monthly fee, Fixed price projects, Retainer projects Any combination of those above.
Will you offer discounts for clients who require many services or are returning customers?
Are you a beginner or have several years of experience already?
If you are new, be open to working for a lower rate to gain experience, customer testimonials, and samples for your portfolio.
Compile Customer Reviews and Create a Portfolio
Back up your branding and showcase your experience by compiling customer reviews and creating a portfolio. Always ask for reviews from clients, and use this social proof for marketing your digital marketing services further. Add the customer reviews or testimonials on your website in strategic locations or on a separate page.
Efficiently Organize your Schedule
Automate as many administrative-related tasks as possible, such as creating templates for proposals and invoices, which will allow you to spend most of your time on income-generating tasks. Set aside time to work on your marketing efforts, such as writing and posting to your blog. Also, continue learning by scheduling time for training and reading industry publications or blogs.
How Much Do Freelance Digital Marketers Earn?
Many factors can contribute to how much freelance digital marketers earn, including:
- Experience level Skillset
- Value of your marketing services to clients
- Type of clients you attract
- Number of clients
Since this is not an employed role, the incomes of freelance digital marketers vary widely. It depends on how valuable your services are, the types of clients you work with, and how good you are at hustling to find clients and sell your services.
Some types of digital marketing jobs are more lucrative than others.
- Email marketing
- Growth marketing
- Paid advertising roles
For example, are tend to command higher fees than other digital marketing services. Some industries pay more than others.
- Electronic manufacturing
- Sports teams
- Internet publishing
They all end up paying the highest salaries and contractor fees. According to Acadium.com, Data on how much freelance digital marketers make is limited. Talent.com has only two data points for freelance digital marketers’ income in Canada: CA$39,000 and CA$87,750 per year.
In the United States of America, the annual salaries for freelance digital marketers range from $46,313 for entry-level positions up to $80,288 for more experienced freelance marketers. The average of 16 data points is $59,963.
Too many variables are involved in determining how much a freelance digital marketer can make. Suffice it to say that you can make from almost nothing to more than six figures a year as a freelance digital marketer, especially if you combine your freelancing with other streams of income
Top Benefits of Becoming a Freelance Digital Marketer
- Find potential clients: It may also be helpful to join online job boards or groups where organizations post the type of digital marketing tasks they need assistance with completing.
- Flexible schedule: However, it’s still essential for you to meet all the project deadlines you set with your clients and attend all scheduled meetings.
- Lower costs: All businesses have costs of doing business, which refers to their spending on their operations. While freelance digital marketers may have some expenses associated with their work, such as paying for equipment and software, they may have lower costs than traditional businesses and employees. They may also save money on expenses like business clothes, restaurant meals, and transportation costs.
- Remote work: As a freelance digital marketer, working remotely enables you to work wherever you want, such as working from home or often travelling to work in different locations. Remote work also eliminates the need for commuting, likely providing you with more time for enjoying leisure activities.
- Workload management: Becoming a digital marketer freelancer empowers you to decide how much you want to work and what type of work you want to complete. For example, you may prefer to work with clients in a particular industry or focus more on one aspect of digital marketing than others. It’s important to remember that building a client base may require working with a greater variety of clients until you form strong relationships.
How to find a Freelance Digital Marketer Job
- Ask satisfied clients for referrals
- Be flexible with your rates when appropriate for clients
- Consider focusing your work on a particular niche
- Develop a strong brand that you market consistently
- Include testimonials from happy clients on your website
- Keep in contact with your clients through email marketing campaigns
- Look for an experienced digital marketer to mentor you
- Use social media to market yourself and connect with clients.
Top job boards to get a freelance digital marketer job
Upwork is the world’s largest talent marketplace for freelancers and agencies that connects businesses with independent professionals and agencies around the globe. On Upwork, whether paid hourly or on a fixed-price contract, all the work you complete comes with payment protection.
Dynamite Jobs is a job marketplace that specializes in remote work. You can filter the listing by category, sub-category, and type. To find freelance jobs, select “Short-Term Project” or “Part Time” under the kind of work. Or use “freelance” or “contract” in the search field.
FlexJobs also focuses on remote and flexible job opportunities, both employment and freelance. The easiest way to find freelance listings is by using “freelance” in the search field.
Indeed is the largest aggregator of job listings. While it’s known for employment listings, it also includes freelance marketing jobs. You can set up email alerts and receive new listings automatically.
On Jooble, there are lists of job vacancies from all over Canada, including remote work. While most listings are for employment, Jooble also includes freelance work.
LinkedIn is a networking platform for professionals that includes a job board. You can sometimes find freelancing opportunities that may not post anywhere else.
Problogger has a job board dedicated to bloggers and other content creators. Many of the opportunities are for freelance work. It is an excellent place to look if you specialize in content creation.
As the name suggests, Remote.co lists remote jobs from the world’s leading small companies and virtual teams. Find freelance marketing jobs by using their search engine.
The need for freelance digital marketers continues to rise. Many business organizations that are overwhelmed and need help with their digital marketing efforts can benefit from adding freelance digital marketers to their team, whether on a project-by-project basis or over the long term.
You can make the most of a growing career by focusing on finding your niche, building up your skillset, creating a personal brand, blogging, setting flexible rates, utilizing social proof, and efficiently scheduling your time. To help save both more time and money, check out these best freelancer tools to help you get ahead.
180,107 total views, 1 views today
- 7 Ways Car Accident Can Affect Your Finances - 04/12/2022
- How Sports Betting Business Owners Made Millions - 03/12/2022
- 8 Best SEO Link-Building Strategy for New Websites - 03/12/2022