What are Epoxy Coatings Related Health Problems
For a while now, epoxy resins are used in many industries to manufacture flooring and water pipelines. Epoxy coatings act as a barrier to corrosion and hence help in the protection of materials. That being said, we very well know that every chemical compound has its own merits and demerits.
Likewise, there are a lot of them attached to this compound, as well. Today in this blog, we will discuss a lot about epoxy coating advantages and disadvantages, and how it can affect your health.
What is Epoxy?
An epoxy is a form of polymer, a group of chemical compounds made up of large molecules with repeating subunits. This material boasts a multitude of chemical properties and hence is being used aggressively by different industries. Its molecular structure gives it the needed toughness and elasticity.
Epoxy resins are mainly composed of epoxides, which have been highly reactive groups of compounds that are stiffened by chemical processes triggered by mixing them with other materials or heating them to extreme temperatures.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Epoxy Coating
Epoxies are one of many coating and adhesive choices, but their strength makes them a common choice in building or manufacturing industries. Let us now have a look at their pros and cons.
Epoxy Coatings Advantages
- Curing Speed: The healing time for epoxies differs, but for certain quick ones, a working cure can be achieved in under an hour
- Durable: The polymeric composition of epoxy provides an extremely tight bond that is both waterproof and resistant to high temperatures.
- Compatibility: Epoxy can bond a wide range of materials, whereas most traditional adhesives are restricted in their use. Polyvinyl acetate glues, for example, require porous surfaces, whereas epoxy resins are more flexible.
- Great Insulator: This chemical compound is an excellent insulator. It’s commonly used in integrated circuits and electronic systems to shield components from sweat, dust, dirt, and other particles that can cause products to deteriorate over time.
Epoxy Coatings Disadvantages
- Harmful to Health: Epoxy gases are dangerous and can only be used in well-ventilated areas. The gases released by the epoxy resins are intolerable and potentially poisonous. If you suffer from asthma, ensure to proceed with caution. If you don’t follow the instructions, epoxy may be harmful to your body.
- Expensive: Epoxy is generally costly because of its composition specifications and mechanical efficiency. If you choose to use a less expensive coating, look at other options.
- Caused Respiratory Illnesses: Your lungs, nose, and throat will be compromised if you breathe in epoxy fumes. Swelling and irritation of the respiratory organs are typical symptoms. You can develop asthma if you are constantly exposed to epoxy fumes. And if you are healed, contaminants will remain stuck in your respiratory tract, causing serious health problems in the future.
Epoxy Coating Sensitization
You might have seen many people with red skin rashes or bruises when they work with epoxies. Well, it is very much possible because they might be occurring due to epoxy sensitization. A lot of people are often caught up with it and ask what epoxy sensitization is.
It is the mechanism by which your body becomes much more exposed to epoxy materials or the additives used in them. Allergic reactions on the skin are often the most frequent symptom of epoxy sensitization; however, inflammation of the eyes, nose, mouth, and lungs can also happen.
How To Avoid Sensitization?
- The first tip is to avoid skin contact with epoxy resins. Wear PPE kits with long pants and long sleeves.
- Begin by donning gloves. Many workers avoid disposable latex gloves because they are difficult to change as their hands get sweaty. Wearing a thin pair of cotton gloves over the latex gloves is an easy way to avoid this, as the cotton prevents moisture, making it much easier to change.
- Put on a mask. To stop breathing in toxic solvents, it is mandatory.
That was it! Now that you know the pros and cons of epoxy coatings ensure to visit Enviro Guard. Check out how they can help you protect yourself from epoxy sensitization!
487 total views, 5 views today
- 7 Benefits of Crypto Technology for Medical Recording - 20/05/2022
- The Advantages of Offshore Banking Accounts - 20/05/2022
- 45 NFT Game Websites to Earn Free Cryptocurrency - 19/05/2022