Taking Your Teeth Braces Off? Life After Braces!
Teeth braces are dental devices used to correct crowded or crooked teeth. The braces are most often used during adolescence, but many adults are getting corrective teeth braces later in life. The teeth braces are made of metal or ceramic, wires, and bonding material that attaches them to the patient teeth.
- Are you close to taking your teeth braces off?
- Or have you recently experienced the feeling of getting de-bonded?
Then, it’s a day of celebration! Finally, you got the much-desired pearly whites and a bright smile. But you need to wear a retainer after braces for some time to retain your new alignment of teeth. Success rates of teeth braces vary depending on the patient age when treatment begins and what the treatment goals are.
We will provide details about changes you will notice after teeth braces, the importance of oral hygiene with retainers, and general tips for life after braces.
Differences You Feel in Your Life After Teeth Braces
- No More Food Restrictions: You were under food restrictions for a long time. Hard candies, sticky popcorns, dry fruits, hard fruits like apples were off the table for the duration of your treatment. Now you can eat them freely.
- Sensitivity in Teeth: By taking teeth braces off, you remove months of the outer cover of your teeth. As a result, your teeth might become sensitive by this sudden exposure. Therefore, you should slow down before grabbing your favorite chewy and crunchy food.
- A Different Smile: Duh! Isn’t it obvious? Yes, it is, but still, many people get surprised with their new look and smile. Braces don’t only change the alignment of your teeth. It also alters the shape of your jaw.
- Discoloration of Teeth: You might notice yellow and white spots on your teeth after braces treatment. In most cases, they will go away on their own in few months. If not, then it can be treated through teeth whitening treatment.
Importance of Good Oral Hygiene and Dental Cleaning Routine
With the cover of teeth braces for so many months, many corners of your teeth need cleaning. And your teeth are sensitive after suddenly being exposed after months. Therefore, they are fragile to combat any bacteria or cavities developing in your mouth due to poor dental hygiene.
Thus it is essential to maintain daily oral hygiene after taking your braces off. Your orthodontist will also call you for deep dental cleaning. An orthodontist is a doctor who specializes in this kind of device and treatment for misaligned teeth. Don’t miss those appointments as well.
Importance of Wearing Retainer After Teeth Braces
Your orthodontist will prescribe you to wear a retainer after teeth braces. Because your teeth may lose their new alignment after the removal of the teeth braces and move back to their old position. Retainers do the task of keeping them fixed in their new place. Your retainers will be customized according to the shape of your teeth and jaw.
You might be looking forward to completing freedom after taking braces off. But wearing retainers is a last and minor inconvenience. These retainers are usually removable. You can eat and make a public appearance after their removal. Retainers will ensure the success of the time and money you invested in your braces treatment.
Most Prevalent Pieces of Advice of Orthodontists After Taking Braces Off
- Keep Your Retainer Safe: Since retainer is removable, the chances are that you can misplace it or keep it in an unsafe place. So be careful and keep it in its case and at a safe place only if you don’t want to be billed heavily twice.
- Keep Your Retainer Clean: A retainer can be an as good a breeding ground for bacteria as your mouth and teeth. So clean them properly before every time you wear them. Check if any food particles are stuck anywhere. Brush them twice a day.
- Wear Your Retainer Often: There is an important reason for wearing a retainer after braces. Wear them more if you want to keep your teeth intact in their correct position. Not wearing them enough will risk the success of your orthodontics treatment.
Follow the aftercare guidelines of the orthodontist regarding oral hygiene and wearing a retainer after teeth braces. And enjoy your new life after teeth braces with your beautiful smile and disarming confidence.
103 total views, 3 views today