A medical lab technologist’s job is to analyze various biological samples to treat or diagnose different diseases. The medical lab technologist also performs professional laboratory work following established clinic procedures and performs chemical and physical tests on patient specimens for medical diagnosis.
Aside from the excitement and adventure of travelling medical professionals, the medical lab technologist job can be very lucrative. So, if you have ever thought about becoming a medical lab technologist or ever considered travelling as a medical professional, now is the time.
What exactly do medical lab technologists do?
Medical lab technologists are scientists in the healthcare field who collaborate closely with other medical professionals to study biological samples to locate and treat certain illnesses. These professionals gather different samples to test, like
- Tissue and
- Spinal fluid
To perform examinations to learn more about them and form a diagnosis. Medical lab technologists also closely examine the cells found in parasites, bacteria, or other microorganisms. A primary duty of most medical lab technologists who study these samples is to locate any abnormalities.
Once they uncover any, they’ll report these findings for Physicians and other medical professionals to review. Many Medical lab technologists are in charge of keeping the laboratory stocked and organized.
So, what are a medical laboratory technologist’s job outlook and pay rates?
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS), job growth for medical lab technologists is expected to be about 11% between 2020-2030, which is considered faster than the average for all healthcare occupations.
They have large populations in their significant cities, creating higher demand for the healthcare system. As stated by the United States Census Bureau, the city of Los Angeles, California, has a population per square mile of 3,517.6, and 12.9% of its entire population is elderly.
Similarly, Dallas, Texas, they have a population of 1,288,475. Cities with smaller populations do not see the same influx of patients creating less demand in certain states.
Medical lab technologists earned an average salary of $57,800 in 2021, and wages are expected to increase in 2022 and 2023. When considering a salary amount, consider the cost of living in the city where you work and the suburbs for a potentially cheaper option while travelling.
According to Indeed, a medical lad technologist makes an average of $30.51 per hour. The pay rate may depend on the level of experience, education, and geographical location.
Medical lab technologists’ duties and responsibilities
Medical lab technologists are mainly responsible for collecting and testing samples. Their duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Use established lab protocol to perform laboratory tests and correctly log the results of those tests
- Determine specimen validity within the first 20 minutes of receiving the specimen
- Inform clients of recollection protocols if a model is rejected
- Identify, diagnose and repair issues that may arise with the laboratory equipment
- Verify all test results and ensure that they are correctly matched with the specimen
- Label and organize all tests appropriately to make sure that they are easily retrievable
Medical lab technologists’ skills and qualifications
To be considered for this position, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Current ASCP certification
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Research and analysis skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to follow biohazard guidelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to closely read instructions
- 2+ years experience as a Medical Technologist
- Previous experience in a hospital laboratory setting preferred
- Specialization in areas such as
- Must possess a strong eye for detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Deeply analytical with mathematical solid abilities
- Able to lift 20 pounds
A great medical lab technologist must be detail-oriented to catch any abnormalities in the examined samples. These professionals should also have strong task management abilities since they’re usually assigned many pieces at once to study and report on promptly.
The ideal medical lab technologist candidate is also tidy and organized since they’re in charge of keeping their work area clean and storing the various lab tools.
355 total views, 1 views today
- $151k/Annum Microsoft Fresh Graduate Program - 18/08/2022
- 7 Tips to Choose the Best Content Marketing Agency - 16/08/2022
- Best Night Camping Experience in Ananthagiri Hills - 16/08/2022