About 15 years ago, I was first introduced to Indian rummy in an apartment with some friends. I never heard or seen it before, so I sat and watched for a while as they battled it out, trying to make sets and sequences to win. After a while, I joined them and played a few hands. The rummy card game is an incredibly engaging and appealing game.
Rummy is a widespread and popular Indian card game. However, many people might have heard about the rummy card game but have never actually tried it out. The fact that rummy card game was only available offline was one of the reasons for this. However, with the advent of various online rummy portals, more players are now willing to try.
Indian Rummy – A fun game, tricky for beginners
Although it is a fun game to play, but it can be a bit tricky for a beginner player to learn rummy. A player needs to get familiar with the rules and point system in order to increase your winning chances. Following and understanding the rummy rules correctly means the battle is half won, and then comes rummy tips and tricks and tactics.
So, if you are a beginner and looking for guidance to try the game, here are the rummy Indian rummy rules that are explained in the simplest form. You can bookmark this page to your browser and refer to it whenever you are stuck or doubt when playing the card game.
Indian rummy card game objective
The main goal of Indian rummy is to meld all the 13 cards into valid sets or sequences and make a valid declaration. The first player who does so wins the game. In order to win, you must make one required pure sequence, and the remaining cards can be arranged into valid sequences or sets.
What are Indian rummy rules?
Indian rummy rules are very easy and straightforward. Aces are ranked high in Indian rummy, and each suit card ranks from low to high as 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace.
Take a look at the following points to learn how to play Indian rummy card game.
- In this game, 2 to 6 players can play the game with one or two standard decks of cards, including jokers (2 decks are used when there are more than two players). Each player gets 13 cards each.
- Once the cards are dealt, two cards would be drawn randomly from the remaining deck and turn that face-up. The first one is the open card which is the beginning of the discard pile, and the other one becomes the joker card. All the other cards that are of the same rank become joker as well. The remaining cards are the closed deck.
- The closed deck cards are placed face down, whereas the open deck cards are placed face-up. You must draw/pick cards either from the open deck or the closed deck on each turn. After picking a card, you must discard one of yours.
- To win the rummy card game, you must arrange all 13 cards into a valid combination of sets and sequences. You must make at least two pure sequences, out of which it is mandatory to make one pure sequence. You can include jokers when making impure sets or sequences. The player who first makes a valid declaration wins the game.
What is a sequence in Indian rummy?
A sequence is a set of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. There are two types of sequences that you must form: pure sequence and impure sequence.
Rummy Pure Sequence
A pure sequence is a set of three or more cards placed in consecutive order of the same suit. To make a pure sequence, you cannot use any joker. For examples: A♣ K♣ Q♣ J♣ and 4♥ 5♥ 6♥ 7♥.
Rummy Impure Sequence
A set of three or more cards of the similar suit formed with a joker card is known as an impure sequence. For instance: 5♣ 6♣ J♥ 8♣ (Here, J♥ has been used as joker replacing 7♣ to form an impure sequence.)
What is a set in Indian rummy game?
A set is a group of three or four words of different suits but of the same value. You can use jokers or wildcards to replace missing cards in a set. For instance: K♣ K♠ K♥ (In this rummy set, all the Kings are of different suits, make a valid set). 7♥ 7♣ J♣ (Here, J♣ has been used as a joker replacing 7 to make a set.)
How are points calculated in Indian rummy card game?
Calculating points is a vital factor when deciding a winner. There are two ways to calculate points system of rummy card game:
- The winner of the game gets 0 points, and the remaining players are given points based on the unmatched cards they are holding (pure sequence is exempted from scoring). All photos cards, i.e. Aces, Kings, Queens, Jacks and 10s, carry 10 points per card. All other number cards carry the point value same as their face cards. i.e. 6♦ will carry a value of 6, 9♣ will give you 9 points and so on. Wild cards or joker carry 0 points.
So, the player with the minimum score wins the game and the remaining players get eliminated if they reach the predetermined mark of 100, 200, and so on. But, if the player finishes the game but makes a wrong declaration, the player loses and gets the total points of all the cards in their hands regardless of whether the player has a sequence or not, and the opponent wins.
- On Gamentio, there is a unique scoring system. The player who wins the game earns rummy points depending on the cards that are left by their opponents. The points are deducted from the loser’s stack and are calculated on the basis of the number of loose cards (that are not part of the sequences or sets). Also, if a player fails to make a move within the specified time or drops the game after the cards are dealt 10 points will be deducted.
Let’s look at an example: Assume that you are playing a two-player rummy game, and you win. Your opponent has Q♣ J♣ 8♣ 10♣. The value of these cards Queen = 10, Jack = 10, Eight = 8, and Ten = 10. Adding all these, you will win 38 points. If you were playing a game with more than two players, then you (winner) would receive the sums of all other remaining players cards.
Remember, you will only get points for the cards that are still in your opponents’ hands. Not the ones that they have already melded. So, you will not be getting any credit for the melds made by them. This is because they were holding out for a rummy card game.
As rummy is a game based on skill, it is vital that you understand, remember and use the rummy crad game rules whenever you learn to play rummy online. You can also watch the video below to learn more about the rummy card game in Hindi
Feeling excited to try your first rummy card game. Download the Gamentio rummy app for free on your preferred device, practice in a rummy classroom. Once you have practiced enough, play with rummy card game fans across the world and experience the unlimited thrill and excitement.
599 total views, 1 views today