LibreOffice is a free and open-source office suite with a clean interface and feature-rich tools helping people to unleash their creativity and enhance their productivity using by millions of people globally.
The open-source office suite has many applications that will make your documents look professional and clean, regardless of the purpose: a letter, a master thesis, a brochure, financial reports, marketing presentations, technical drawings and diagrams.
LibreOffice will make your work look great while you focus on the content. It is compatible with a wide range of document formats such as; Microsoft® Word (.doc, .docx), Excel (.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx) and Publisher.
Beyond many features shipped by default, LibreOffice is easily extensible through its powerful extensions mechanisms. The ree and open source office suite are available for everyone to use, share and modify, and produced by a worldwide community of hundreds of developers.
LibreOffice is a successor to OpenOffice.org which in turn was based on StarOffice. LibreOffice is by far the most active continuation of the OpenOffice.org codebase, with releases every six months and hundreds of contributors.
Some of LibreOffice Built-In Extension to Enhance your Productivity
Page Numbering Addon: This plugin, or by LO/OO terminology add-on(an extension that includes any kind of UI implementation/customization), includes the following features:
- Add page numbering without taking the page-break system into account
- Although Page Breaks are an intuitive and effective approach for document layout and styling, users migrating from Microsoft Office suites find it more than difficult to understand)
- Configure styling options such as Font, Character height, Alignment and page position (Header/Footer)
- Page offset and First page options
- Numbering type selection such as Roman, Arabic or Greek
- Multiple Page numbering setups per document
- Compatibility with all modern LibreOffice/OpenOffice versions
Zotero LibreOffice Integration: This integration makes it possible to insert citations and bibliography entries into LibreOffice Writer documents in thousands of different bibliography styles. This is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources. It lives right where you do your work in the web browser itself.
Zotero LibreOffice integration also allows users to insert citations directly from their word processing software. This makes citing multiple pages, sources, or otherwise customizing citations a breeze. In-text citations, footnotes and endnotes are all supported.
Writer2ePub: This is an extension for OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice which allows you to create an ePub file from any file format that Writer can read. The extension allows you to create an ePub file from any file format that Writer can read.
Users can easily generate an ePub of professional quality that you can edit with the appropriate ePub-authoring tools later. Moreover, W2E fixes several formatting errors and generates by default a logical layout, in line with the traditional editorial standards.
W2E is an ePub file creator. It allows you to easily create an ePub file of high quality, at code-level and as a typographic result. You do not need to worry about editing and typesetting anymore!
Main Features of W2E
- Generated code (XHTML, CSS and XML) is extremely clean and simple
- The final ePub is very easy to edit with ePub editors like Sigil
- High compatible with the most common eReader programs/platforms: iPad, Adobe Digital Editions
- Automatic correction of wrong formatting
- Metadata can be managed with simplicity and flexibility.
A beginner might want to use W2E as a simple file converter. To obtain a good ePub file, you just need to open any file that can be read by Writer (OO or LibO) and click a button. Also, advanced users can profit from W2E. In fact, they will get a validated ePub, ready to enter further processing stages, being sure that it will be compatible with nearly all the devices on the market.
Anaphraseus: This is a Computer-Aided Translation (CAT) tool OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice.org macro set similar to famous Wordfast. It works with the Wordfast Translation Memory format (*.TXT) and supports text segmentation.
- Term Recognition, fuzzy (unexact) search.
- TMX Export/Import (OmegaT translation memory format).
- Plain text and Unicode UTF-16 TM, Glossary.
- User Glossary.
- Ready for localization (already have 19 languages interface).
- Querying online translation engines: Google – Translator, Microsoft Bing etc.
- LibreOffice integration.
How to Install LibreOffice Extensions
- Download an extension and save it anywhere on your computer.
- In LibreOffice, select Tools –> Extension Manager from the menu bar.
- In the Extension Manager dialogue click Add.
- A file browser window opens. Navigate to the folder where you saved the LibreOffice extension file(s) on your system. The extension’s files have the file extension ‘OXT’.
- Find and select the extension you want to install and click Open.
- If this extension is already installed, you’ll be prompted to press OK to confirm whether to overwrite the current version by the new one, or press Cancel to stop the installation.
- After you are asked whether to install the extension only for your user or for all users. If you choose the Only for me option, the extension will be installed only for your user. If you choose For all users, you need system administrator rights. In this case, the extension will be available for all users. In general, choose Only for me, that doesn’t require administration rights on the operating system.
If you are a technology enthusiast, early adopter or power user, the latest version of LibreOffice is for you. Please choose this version if you deploy LibreOffice in an enterprise or corporate environment or you are a conservative user.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.