After upgrading to Windows 10, lots of users reported their SD card reader not working on this operating system. The culprits behind this issue are various, but the most possible factors are a poor connection between SD card and SD card reader, missing SD card driver, and SD card infected with the virus.
Firstly, you can try restarting your computer to see if the issue has been fixed successfully. If restarting is not helpful, please try the following solutions.
Check the Hardware Issues
When SD card reader stopped working on Windows 10, you should check the following hardware, including the SD card, SD card reader, the USB cable, etc.
Check the SD card reader
You should make sure that the used SD card reader is compatible with your current operating system (Windows 10). Older readers might be unable to work with the newer operating system.
Apart from the incompatibility between the older reader and the current operating system, the incompatibility between memory card format and the older reader can also lead to SD card reader not working. Some older memory card reader is unable to recognize the SDHC and SDXC memory card format.
Check the USB cable
Excluding the above factors, you should check whether the USB cable leads to SD card reader not working if you are using the external SD card reader. To do that, you just need to try to replace the current USB cable with a different one.
Check the SD card
Check whether the gold finger (transmitting signals) on the SD card turns black. If yes, it means that the gold finger has been oxidized and you need to use an eraser to erase the oxide layer.
Then, check if the SD card gets corrupted. Do not unplug your SD card while the card is being read. This action can lead to a loss of electrical power to the card and then the card may be corrupted.
Check the USB port
SD card, not working can also be ascribable to the USB port if you are using the external SD card reader. As we know, the external SD card reader needs power through the USB connection when it connects to your computer.
However, when the USB port on your computer doesn’t carry enough electrical current to power the reader, the latter will not work. Therefore, try a different USB port on your computer to see if the SD card reader not working issue could be fixed.
Run Windows Hardware Devices Troubleshooter
Maybe some potential device issues lead to SD card reader not working on Windows 10. If that is in case, please run the built-in Windows tool, Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. This tool will quickly figure out the device issues.
Follow the steps below to run this tool
- · Insert the SD card into the card reader. Connect the reader to the Windows 10 computer if it is an external SD card reader.
- · Hit the Windows icon and then click the Settings icon from the menu.
- · On the Settings window, click Update & Security.
- · Select Troubleshoot from the left pane of the new window and then find and click Hardware and Devices from the right pane and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
Change Drive Letter to SD Card
SD card reader not working can be ascribed to the driver letter conflict. For example, the SD card has a drive letter that is D, while the CD/DVD on the computer also uses the same letter. Here I would like to show you how to change drive letter to SD card with MiniTool Partition Wizard to avoid the driver conflict.
- Download the free program and then install it and launch it to get its main interface.
- Highlight the SD card in Disk Map and then select the Change Drive Letter feature from the left pane.
- Choose a drive letter that has not been used by other drives from the list. Then, click OK to confirm.
Click the Apply button to execute the changes.
After changing the drive letter to the SD card, check whether the SD card reader still fails to work
Update SD Card Reader Driver
The device driver is outdated, missing or incompatible is the fourth reason for this issue. To check whether the device driver is the culprit behind this issue, you should
- · Open Device Manager by typing Device Manager in the Cortana’s search bar and selecting the best-matched result.
- · On the Device Manager window, expand the two places: Disk Drives or Universal Serial Bus controls to see if there is a yellow triangle mark.
A yellow triangle against the SD card driver means that the driver goes wrong and you need to replace it with a good one. To do that, you can right-click the target device driver and then select Uninstall device and the Uninstall button. After that, right-click Disk drives and then click Scan for hardware changes to refresh the device driver.
Clean up Virus or Malware on SD Card
When SD card reader not working occurs, your SD card might have been hidden or encrypted on your computer by virus or malware.
Tip: Why have your SD card been attacked by virus or malware? What are the symptoms that indicate the SD card gets a virus attack? Read the post to learn about the answers.
To clean up the virus or malware on your SD card, you need to utilize Command Prompt
- · Open Command Prompt by pressing Windows + R and typing cmd on the Run window.
- · On the Command Prompt window, type attrib -h -r -s /s /d #:*.* (# means the drive letter of the SD card) and then hit the Enter key to run this command.
After executing this command, your SD card should appear on your computer. Recommended article: Best 256GB Micro SD.
Here are all my solutions to SD card reader not working. Please try the mentioned ways one by one to get your SD card reader back to normal. Hope them can help you get rid of the issue.
Search The Web Here
- 5 Amazing Gift Idea for Your Brother on Raksha Bandhan - Jun 2, 2020
- Top 3 Soft Skills which Every Delay Expert must have - Jun 2, 2020
- 5 Best HIPAA Compliant Software Development Tips - Jun 1, 2020